The panels are in remembrance of seven men who had attended the local Stoke House school in Stoke Green, Stoke Poges. All died in the war in South Africa between 1901-1903. They were fitted in St Giles’ after a faculty from the Diocese of Oxford on 27 June, 1904
The words at the base of the panels are – ‘The path of duty is the way to glory’
The Headmaster of Stoke House school, Edward H. Parry (1855-1931) was a Churchwarden and well known having been captain of a team that won the F.A. cup and having played football for England.
The two panels are of St Michael and St George. They were designed by Louis Davis (1860-1941) and made in 1899. He was an English watercolourist, book illustrator and stained-glass artist. Davis was active in the Arts and Crafts Movement. Nikolaus Pevsner referred to him as the last of the Pre-Raphaelites. There are fine details in the faces.