The Hastings Chapel is also known as the ‘Gurkha Chapel’ . The 4th Prince of Wales’ Own Gurkha Rifles Regiment is represented in the panel. There is a lot of memorabilia about the Regiment in the chapel including a roll of honour. The Regimental Garden and Memorials are in the Stoke Poges Memorial Gardens, adjacent to St Giles’ church. On the panel is the famous epitath which encircles the logo. The Gurkhas are more familiar with the phrase, “Kaphar hunu bhandā marnu rāmrō” – in English means, ‘It is better to die than to be a coward’.
Made in 1947 the panel displaying the crucifixion was designed by the artist Martin Trevers shortly before he died. He is regarded as one of the most influential British stained glass artist in the second quarter of the twentieth century. The craftsman completing the making of it was Lawrence S. Lee. He was one of the great craftsmen of the latter half of the 20th century and is best known for leading the project to create the windows in the nave at Coventry Cathedral. Their maker’s marks are on the panel.