The two panels depict St Paul resting on a sword and St John the Evangelist holding a chalice. They are dedicated to Revd. Edward St.John Parry.
The words at the base of the panels are, ‘Steadfast in the faith. Made perfect in love.’
Revd E. St. John Parry (1825-1896) son of Thomas Parry, the Bishop of Barbados, established in 1874 an outstanding boys preparatory school called Stoke House school in Stoke Green, Stoke Poges. Whilst he was Headmaster many of the boys went up to Eton College, Winchester College and Charterhouse school. On retirement his son, Edward H. Parry took over as Headmaster.
The two panels were designed by Louis Davis (1860-1941) and made in 1899. He was an English watercolourist, book illustrator and stained-glass artist. Davis was active in the Arts and Crafts Movement. Nikolaus Pevsner referred to him as the last of the Pre-Raphaelites. They were fitted in St Giles’ after a faculty from the Diocese of Oxford on 27 June, 1904 at the same time as the other panels commemorating the former boys from Stoke House school who died in the war in South Africa.